One of the most frequent problems in my practice is low self-esteem. Low self-esteem leads to a negative perception of oneself and is a factor that can limit us a lot in our daily life. The truth is that, on many occasions, patients do not know how to identify that they suffer from low self-esteem. Why?
Because low self-esteem leads to other types of problems that are the supposed cause of which they come to the psychologist, problems such as symptoms of anxiety , depression , behavior problems, stress, addictions, etc. and here are some tips to know how to identify what is happening to us and how we can solve it. It is easy to increase self-esteem, you just have to put a little effort.
What is self-esteem?
Self-esteem is the set of beliefs, perceptions, evaluations, and thoughts we have about ourselves, the assessment we make based on our experiences.
What symptoms can tell me that I have low self-esteem?
Some of the main symptoms that can warn us that our self-esteem is not at the best moment are the following:
- I have no confidence in myself
- I do not express my likes or opinions for fear of being rejected or for thinking that my opinions do not have the same value as the opinions of others
- I do not feel worthy of the good things in life
- I do not strive to get what I want because beforehand I think I will not achieve it
- I do not relate to others as I would like because I think I will not do it well and they will leave me aside
- I need the approval of others very often
- I let myself be stepped on easily since I do not dare to impose myself when necessary
- I see other people as superior to me and I would like to be like them
- I am afraid to say what I feel, and maybe I do not like others what I say
- I usually attribute to external causes my achievements and internal causes my failures
- I’m almost never happy with what I do since I think I could be better
- I do not feel happy
- It’s hard for me to finish what I start since I am very demotivated
- Decision making becomes very difficult because I think that whatever I decide will be the wrong option, so I let myself be carried away by what others decide, even if it’s my own life
- I think about my weaknesses and almost never stop to think about my strengths
- I feel nervous most of the day
- It is almost impossible to take the initiative
- I feel evaluated almost constantly in social situations
- I feel guilty
- I feel unattractive
- I envy the lives of others
- I feel that I have nothing to contribute
If you have felt this way on several occasions, the rest of your problems may come from having low self-esteem. Let’s try to solve it with some exercises so that you begin to value yourself and believe in you. You could be surprised at your abilities if you try to improve your self-esteem.
- Also read Popular article: ” 100 Personal Questions to ask a girl to Know her“.
How can I increase my self-esteem?
Many people wonder if there is any way to improve their own self-esteem. Obviously, there is no magic potion, but we must be aware that only each person can improve in this sense based on perseverance and follow some advice.
1. Stop crushing
We have to be realistic about both our virtues and our shortcomings. We are not perfect, but the intention is not to be. The goal is to be happy. So to achieve this we must accept the things we do not do so well and learn from it. And of course, do not downplay the things we know how to do well, but value them as they deserve. We will observe and be aware of how good we are, how good we are, how good we are. Why keep thinking that I am a disaster? Where has this kind of reasoning led me?
2. Start thinking positive
Change your thoughts. The “I cannot” for “I’m going to try”, “I’m going to be successful” “it’s going to be fine”. It seems a cliché but forcing yourself a bit to look at the good things in life can help us get out of the negative dynamic.
3. Set realistic goals
And that you can fulfill. Goals to which it is relatively easy to reach. Little by little, we can increase them, and we will see that step by step we are achieving what we propose. If we fail, we learn from it without blaming ourselves for our mistakes, since failure is a way of knowing how to do it differently the next time. Dare to face challenges.
4. Do not compare yourself
Each person is a world and you are the owner of yours. Focus on you. In your life. Envying and idealizing the life of the rest, the only thing we will achieve is to feel miserable
5. Accept and forgive yourself
Write a letter in which you describe everything you do not like about yourself and everything that you feel guilty about. Do not leave anything. Read it carefully and value what you can improve. Say goodbye to that letter and smash it into a thousand pieces. From that moment start from scratch, with everything you’ve learned but leaving behind the guilt. You still have time to do a clean slate and a new account.
6. Make constructive criticisms of yourself
That everything you say will serve to improve, not to stagnate and blame you. Also, learn to fit the criticisms in a way that does not affect you.
7. Treat yourself with love and respect, always
You are the best thing that has happened to you, so prove it. You have the right to be happy.
8. Give yourself time
Do activities that make you happy. It is the best way to find yourself and develop your skills.
9. Overcome your ballast
There are people who live dragging backpacks full of weight: jobs that do not satisfy them, relationships that do not bring them anything, habits they do not like … To overcome all these burdens, it is necessary to take some control over the situation, think positive and try to change them
10. Every night before you go to bed …
… Think about the good things that the day has brought you, the challenges overcome, the mistakes we have made and how we can improve.
Try, for 30 days, to put these tips into practice. You will see that when the month ends you will feel better and many of the symptoms you felt disappear. And remember, there is only one person capable of changing your life, and that person, is you!
Learn to love yourself
In the following article, we explain more interesting aspects of the perception you have of yourself, and how to achieve improvement in what you propose. We hope these tips are useful for you and that you achieve this good path that you have started today.